Monday, July 13, 2015

WCLAC - Iftar and the Dead Sea

Palestine. When the word is used in the West, either in the media or in conversation, it is usually followed by conflict, destruction and war. If I am honest, I was expecting a place that was not as developed, slightly chaotic and had obvious signs of the Occupation, resulting in a repressive environment. This is what I had prepared myself for. The reality, however, could not be further from what I envisaged. Warm welcomes and happy faces is what greets us daily and although the Occupation presents problems, these issues are far more subtle and pervasive than my original suppositions.

We went to the Dead Sea on our first weekend here. Fully bonding as a group; we had mud fights, and bathed in the salty buoyant water. Waking up the next morning, my project partner and I headed to work at WCLAC. Still picking the salt out of my eyes from my not-so romantic French kiss with the Dead Sea we arrived at our placement. WCLAC is feminist charity that focuses on providing women with legal advice and counseling. Women’s rights here are seen as secondary to the liberation movement meaning that they are not only discriminated against by cultural norms but also by the Occupation. Restricting movement on top of safety concerns means that women can often live a confined life, meaning accessing facilities or securing employment can be extremely difficult.

Understanding the current situation of women in Palestine was vital so we spent the first week reading and proof reading documents and reports. I thoroughly enjoyed researching and understanding the cultural, legal and Occupation norms that women face and endure. We found out that we will be visiting several cities in the West Bank in the coming weeks, which I am really looking forward to, especially as we will have a chance to see areas with such a different religious composition.

Palestine is a mix of religious culture and arriving during a spiritual time of year, Ramadan, we are able to see with our own eyes the strength of the Palestinian people as a whole and the beauty of Islam. Ramadan is a time of year when Muslims observe strict fasting from dawn to sunset. For Muslims, fasting during this period doesn't just mean refraining from food and water; it also means purifying the soul and re-evaluating one's own life in the light of Islamic guidance. After iftar (when Muslims break their fast), cities come alive. Bright lights adorn the streets and on occasion you can see floats parading through them. The buzz is electrifying and it is such a wonderful place to be.

Being invited by the Palestinians to iftar during the first week of Ramadan to have a taste of Palestinian food and life was amazing. The spread was unbelievable! Kabseh, Mlokheyyeh, Bazella, Fasoulya that was followed by Knafeh and Qatayef. Sitting down and breaking their fast with them was lovely and such a unique experience that I will forever cherish. Palestinian warmth and happiness filled the atmosphere. This warmth is also reflected in religious understanding throughout Palestine as Christians support Muslims in their fast by lowering their shutters during the day so that Muslims do not see people eating in restaurants. To see this beautiful consideration of other peoples' religions, thoughts and feelings highlights the recalcitrant reality of the occupation.

Palestine. When using this word I will follow it with the words fun, open and beautiful. I have found Palestine to be developed, calm and a somewhat happy place. I am glad my expectations were not realized. I am glad that I can continue to inform myself through speaking to locals about their, culture, way of life, and also the realities and challenges of life under occupation. In essence, I am glad to be in Palestine.

No comments:

Post a Comment